You need to stay healthy and fit to be able to accomplish your goals in this life. These health and fitness tips for self-improvement will go a long way to help you in your journey of staying healthy, keeping fit, and achieving your goals.
Table of Contents
1. Eat breakfast.
Don’t rush right into the day. After spending a few minutes of quiet visualizing the perfect day, make arrangements for taking in breakfast so you can start the day off right. No fancy meals for breakfast. Make and take a quick morning breakfast. You need that early morning energy. Don’t deprive your body of a chance to start the day on the right foot.
2. Relax in the morning.
Your schedule for the day should not see you rushing into the day and straightforward completing tasks planned for the day. Wake some minutes early before the time allocated for the various task for the day. Enjoy that extra time watching the sunrise; spend a few extra minutes in the shower enjoying the water run down your skin; go for a quick brisk walk around the block if you can and it is safe, to get your heart pumping. There’s nothing worse than starting your day in a rush. A few minutes in the morning on oneself can make a
3. Exercise with a friend.
Iron sharpeneth iron. Exercising is good. It results in the release of endorphins, that can lift your spirit and also help you maintain a healthy weight. But exercising is not fun when you go at it alone. The tendency to quit is great. When you have an exercise buddy, it makes exercising.
There are virtual exercise buddies that you can get when you signup for some online fitness programs. If you do not have a friend who will work out in person with you you can create a Youtube channel where you upload your videos as motivation for you. Working out with a friend, whether this is a morning stroll, a spin class, an evening run, or anything else, can keep you motivated and revved for the rest of the day.
Benefits of Workout Partner For Health and Fitness
Below are a few reasons you should try and get a workout partner or exercise buddy.
- Friendly competition. You will feel the need to do more when you see your friends getting results. Remember however not to turn it into an unhealthy competition where you will exercise yourself sore to the point where it becomes meaningless to continue.
- Fun exercising. Exercising with a friend is more fun as you can engage in fun ways of exercising. When exercise is fun, it doesn’t look boring and you are always looking forward to the next session.
- Fresh ideas. As you exercise with a friend, fun ways are developed to spice up the session.
- Accountability. You will have someone to help keep you on track. You are not likely to quit the exercising as you would not want to disappoint your friend.
- Regular routine. When both of you agree on a time of exercising, it makes the routine regular and progress steady and easily measurable as compared to exercising as and when you feel like it.
- Motivation. A statement of encouragement can give one the nudge to continue and not to quit. Your friend will motivate you not only with his or her words but also their personal results. Get a friend who is equally as motivated as you or more.
4. Don’t just drink water, enjoy water.
A lot of people underestimate water and also do not appreciate the fact that though looks insignifant it keeps up active and also helps us to detoxify our system through urine and sweat. It’s important to drink 2 litres of water each day. Don’t make drinking the required amount of water in a day feel like a chore. On some days, drink the water out of a mug, on some other days jugs, cups, glass wine etc. You can add some ice cubes, cordial, and enjoy water through a fun straw to make it more indulgent. Water doesn’t have to be just water.
5. Pop a vitamin a day.
Often, we are unable to ensure that our meals are well balanced. We also can’t eat perfect balanced diet and be healthy all the time, that is why vitamins were created to compliment our diets once a while. Multi vitamins can give your body the nourishment when it is lacking same. Some vitamins pill can do great wonders for your health. Some suppresses hunger and boost your weight lose journey if that is the plan for your health and fitness.
6. Hide the scale.
Often times when it comes to weight lose, we are very much likely to get discouraged when we measure to see results a few minutes or days later after engaging in activities or exercises aimed at a certain health and fitness goal(s) and do not see immediate results. If you have a scale close to your bed or in your bathroom where you are exposed to it daily, hide it. You have more important things to worry about than your weight. usually if you give much attention to whether you are making progress or not, you will tend to be discourage and not follow through with the program and schedule you’ve set.
7. Stop Smoking.
If you are very concerned about your health and fitness, you must make the effort to stop quitting if you do smoke. Easier said than done right? The truth is quitting is hard but not quitting is harder. Don’t try quitting at a go. Start small and reach out to get the help you need to aid you go through the journey of giving up smoking. Reducing your cigarette intake is the first step to a healthier you and an improved lifestyle. Sound simple but it will need commitment from your part.
Simple Self-Help Tips To Stop Smoking
Below are simple self-help tips to stop smoking.
- Think positive. Have a positive mindset that you can quit smoking. Others have done so and they are not too different. People with worse form of addiction have stopped smoking. You too can.
- Make a plan to quit aligned with a goal. For every result you desire, you must be deliberate about it. Make plans on when you want to quit and break them down into timelines. Be realistic about your goals so you don’t get discouraged along the way.
- Make a list of reasons to quit. Without reasons to quit, your actions will be a fanciful one. Make a list of the reasons why you need to quit smoking. It can be to stay fit an healthy, to keep your marriage etc.
- Consider your diet. Some foods increase your cravings for cigarette just after eating them and also when the time and place is convenient. Identify these foods and make changes to them.
- Change your drinks. Just like some foods increase your cravings for smoking, some drinks also making smoking after taking them pleasant. Be mindful, take a mental stock and reduce or avoid such drinks so you can achieve your goal of quitting smoking. If you are struggling with alcohol intake, try this program Sobriety Success to quit drinking.
- Get Support. Look for support groups for smokers and be part of their sessions. Getting to know others are struggling like you to quit smoking and progress they are making will encourage you to also put in the necessary efforts to quit.
- Make more non-smoking friends. Behaviour if learnt. Your chances of quitting smoking is less when you are always with friends who smoke than when with friends who do not smoke. Hang around often with non-smokers to limit free time that may be used for smoking.
8. Aim for 30- 30 minutes of exercise each day.
30 minutes of exercise each morning and evening each day is recommended by health professionals. This includes simple changes to your lifestyle like incorporating a walk into your evening activities, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and riding your bike to work once and a while. These activities though seem trivial but can quickly compound and give you the results you desire over time.
Stretching can keep your muscles feeling relaxed and also helps to relieve stress. Give it a try at every opportunity you get. It must not necessarily be a vigorous one. Stand up from behind your desk and take some few steps away from your desk in order to stretch. Your health and fitness should be a priority.
10. Follow the food guide.
The health professionals made the daily food chart for a reason. Try to get 2 servings of fruit, five servings of fruit,
dairy and protein each day.
11. Reward yourself (in moderation).
A weekly treat is necessary for all your hard work to remain healthy. Treat yourself to something you love
like low-fat ice cream or chocolate. On the path to self-improvement, there is always time to stop and eat dessert.
12. Accept the aging process.
Many people have trouble coming to terms with their body’s changes as they age. It’s important to understand that aging is a natural process. Learn to love your wrinkles, your grey hair, and your less-than-tight skin. George Clooney, Harrison Ford, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, and Brad Pitt are all over 40, and they have never looked better!
13. Limit your alcohol intake.
Having a glass of wine with dinner is fine; however, when you are drinking a bottle of wine a night, or, even worse, binge drinking, then you are causing serious damage to your body. If you are going to drink, drink responsibly. Never drink and drive. Make sure you have a designated driver to take you to your destination irrespective of how much you have drunk. If you are however addicted to alcohol and want to stop click here.
14. Don’t neglect your oral hygiene.
Make it a habit to brush, floss and use sugar-free, alcohol-free mouthwash daily. Make a trip to the dentist
once a year too. No one likes going to the dentist – but no one wants to lose his or her teeth either.
Remaining healthy is not just about go, go, go. You also need to stop, relax and de-stress. Stress is unavoidable at some times. The best way to deal with stress is to push away from it for a few minutes, let your body relax, and then tackle it head-on.
16. Invest in Sleep.
You don’t need to be told how important sleep is. Your bed is your battery recharger. Make sure it’s in tip-top condition. This is why it’s a good idea to reward yourself at night with good quality sheets, a perfectly firm mattress, and cozy down covers.
17. Get creative with food.
There is a saying that “variety is the spice of life”, and this couldn’t be truer than in the kitchen. Share recipes with friends, check online cooking forums, and have fun with your food. You can still eat a healthy (and affordable) diet that doesn’t just consist of brown rice, grilled chicken, and salad. Spice it up!
18. If you get sick, then be sick.
So many people attempt to work through their illness. Stop. If you are sick, then stay in bed. Getting sick is your body’s way of telling you that you are working too hard. You will feel better faster if you just accept the illness and take a break. Plus, you will not be contaminating those around you. So grab some ginger ale, Kleenex, and the DVD player, and let your body heal!
So there you have it. Some few simple health and fitness tips for your self-improvement. Don’t forget to check out the various resources talked about in this post. Invest in yourself to stay healthy and enjoy the fruits of your labour.